Sunday, 20 January 2013

D fer Dog

Today's dog, a pretty little dachshund, a breed whose spirit - in my limited experience - far exceeds their size. The only ones I have met out walking with my own dog have clearly considered themselves to be of the same size  as say a Rottweiler or Mastiff, and twice as ferocious. So, although I find them a bit intimidating, I chose to paint one having been inspired by David Hockney, who published an entire book filled with his oil studies from life of his own two little Daxies, Stanley and Boogie
I love Hockney's dog paintings for their economy of line. He deliberately set about trying to depict the essence of dog in the fewest number of brush strokes. I wouldn't know how to even begin. I am a terrible fiddler and tweaker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment