Thursday, 24 January 2013

German Shepherd



Two hours were spent on the oil version of this doggie before I faced the obvious: it was a stinker. It was a wiper. So I wiped it. This version is in pastel on pastel mat. I didn't have the heart to try again in oils, but will do so when I've cheered up. 
My (late) Auntie Mary used to breed German Shepherds (Mary Vurma of Mirheim Kennels in Ontario, Canada) and was quite famous in doggie circles. On a visit to her house near Toronto, when barely out of my teens, I took all 6 of her adult Shepherds out at the same time on a lead walk. They were good as gold. I couldn't understand why everyone we met crossed the road as we approached.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of the most beautiful studies of a german shepherd dog I have ever seen. All your work is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the trouble to comment x

      Delete