Thursday, 31 January 2013

Lurcher

I really like lurchers. They have such gentle faces and it is exhilarating to watch them run. On the beach last weekend with my little dog, we lobbed a ball with one of those chucker thingies and off he ran when, out of nowhere, a lurcher appeared from behind us. I guessed it was a lurcher when I detected a moving blur. He overtook my little dog, snatched up the ball and performed a U-turn all in one deft movement, materialising in front of us with the ball in about 0.01 secs. We played with him until he decided he was too hot and disappeared up to his neck in a rock pool to cool off. He looked a bit like this painting.

3 comments:

  1. I'm guessing that a Lurcher is a breed more common in the United Kingdom? It looks a bit like a whippet. Again, your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words! Yes, a lurcher is a type of dog rather than breed: it is a cross between a sighthound - usually a greyhound but also a deerhound or whippet cross is common - and something else like a collie or a terrier. So they can very in size from quite small to very tall like a deerhound and can be smooth coated like this painting or quite hairy. They came from Ireland originally. They were bred by poachers for hunting rabbits, I believe!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous dog :) Wish I had a lurcher, they sound like such buoyant dogs.

    ReplyDelete