Saturday, 2 February 2013

Norfolk Terrier


No personal stories to tell of Norfolk Terriers, as I don't recall ever having met one. They glory in an interesting variety of names until Norfolk was settled on, starting out as Cantab Terriers because it was fashionable for Cambridge University students to keep them in their college rooms; then they became Trumpington Terriers (my personal favourite) after the Trumpington Street breeders who developed the breed. 

A whole load were exported to the USA before the First World War by one Frank Jones and so Americans called them Jones Terriers. It was Mr Jones who specified they were from Norwich in Norfolk and thus they ended up, after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing by the Kennel Club, as Norfolks. They are quite small but known to be fearless so this sweet, butter-wouldn't-melt-in-my-mouth face is a bit misleading.

This Norfolk is my 22nd consecutive Daily Dawg and I am feeling a bit tired out. Two days off I think. Next post on Tuesday. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment