Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Great Dane

My favourite programme as a little girl was a cartoon that included a Great Dane, so when I decided to paint a Great Dane I looked for a reference photo that reminded me of him. I was unable to find one, but soon discovered why: creator Iwao Takamoto said that before he designed the character, he first spoke to a Great Dane breeder, who described to him what characteristics  a pedigree Great Dane should have. He then drew the cartoon as the opposite of this. He said "I decided to go the opposite [way] and gave him a hump back, bowed legs, small chin and such. Even his colour is wrong."

By the way, the Head of Children's Programming at CBS is reputed to have come up with the dog's name as a result of listening to Frank Sinatra singing "Strangers in the Night". The chorus is doo-be-doo-be-doo....

[Apologies to readers coming to this post on or after 14 May, as that is when I  removed all references in this edited version of the original post, to the name of the actual cartoon dog referred to. This is because for some reason it has attracted the attention of spammers who have been bombarding this particular post of my blog!! ]

No comments:

Post a Comment