Wednesday, 22 May 2013

Lab in the dark


Still practising with black on black. Going to try another one today where the dog is even more in the dark. It is salutary how not-black a black dog actually is! If you think about it, it's obvious of course: a wholly black anything would just look like - well - a black hole. It is the light that enables us to see. I read somewhere that the whole business of getting better at painting boils down simply to seeing light and dark clearly. Wish it was just that.

Here is "one I did earlier": in pastel on black velour paper. It has a tighter style and more detail: partly pastel makes me work that way and partly I spent many hours on it, unlike the one above (I try to do my 'daily paintings' in two hours, three max otherwise they stop being a 'daily painting')

No comments:

Post a Comment