Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Labrador 3

The title of today's post rather lacks imagination, I feel. Still, this is a lab and it is the 3rd in the series. Two more to go and then I am changing subject matter. I have been experimenting with warm and cool shadows. I have got into muddy muddles using Paynes Grey and it is, for the time being, banished. 

Trying out techniques for painting very pale dogs  has proved a useful exercise as I am working presently on a commission: a double portrait of two curly-coated white poodles. It is a challenge...In the first colour study the poor little things looked distinctly in need of a bath. I tossed the Paynes Grey and mixed shadows using violet and the result was miles better. The dogs no longer looked grubby. But the curls, the curls... here's the working drawing


No comments:

Post a Comment