Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Dachshund: demo in oils

Something a bit different today. I thought I would show you the various stages of my most recent commission. It was of a dachshund called Ben.

"Dachshunds are ideal dogs for small children, as they are already stretched and pulled to such a length that the child cannot do much harm one way or another"
                               Robert Benchley, USA, 1889-1945

Not sure Ben would have agreed with that, ahem. The finished commission was oil on linen, 12" x 12". Today's post will walk through how I got there with some work in progress (WIP) photos. Sorry some of the photos are not brilliant. Here was the starting point:

I like to start with a drawing so I get to know the dog
as you can see, I ran into problems with his front paws because I couldn't really see them in the photo, hence the decision to crop tight into his face. First underpainting:

Second underpainting:
Third underpainting
And the final portrait
The portrait was commissioned as a birthday present for his owner as Ben has sadly passed away. The customer is very pleased and Ben will be going to his new home later in the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment