Tuesday, 29 October 2013

bad hair day

Something a bit different. I haven't tried to paint much in the way of wildlife. The main reason is I have no original reference material to use. It is quite easy to access copyright free images (or buy them) but it is hard to get a "feel" for the subject, I find. I have never seen a tiger in its natural environment and am unlikely to,  but in the case of this pose, I felt I had a good feel for the animal on sight.

The technique for painting him was a bit different to my daily paintings. I worked in layers, allowing each layer to dry before adding the next. It must be possible to paint tiger stripes wet-in-wet but it is beyond my skill level at present (the problem being that black is - essentially - a very dark blue. If you pull orange paint into it when it is wet you get my bespoke shade of cow pat green).

No comments:

Post a Comment