Thursday, 10 October 2013

Fruit fall

Pushing my luck a bit with this one describing it as "green". I hadn't appreciated how many colours there are in a pear. This one I painted with no tube greens at all. I have put them all in a little box in the "naughty corner" of my work surface as I have decided that a tube green should never be used as an automatic choice, but only after much thought. 

I might put the tubes on the other side of the room or even in a different room, so I do not give way to temptation too easily. Yesterday I did an exercise in painting grass, trying not to use green at all - although I did mix up greenish sorts of colours. I used yellow ochre, alizarin, cobalt, white, cad yellow, burnt sienna and it's interesting how easy it was to create the illusion "grass" without actually having a single green on the palette. There's a lesson there somewhere if I could figure out what it was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment