Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Painting Harry (demo)

This is Harry, a splendid Golden retriever I have been working on for a few days now. He is painted in oils on 16"x12" board. Here is a step-by-step of how I painted him.
Starting with a small reference photo, I drew out a grid and enlarged him on to layout paper then transferred the drawing on to gesso'd MDF board. It is easier to do it in 2 stages because it is difficult to rub out mistakes on a gesso'd board without making a nasty, mucky mess.
Hope you can see this: sorry, not the best photo. If you squint at it you will see my grid lines. Next - blocking in
I then made a start on what Richard Schmid calls the "finishing up": laying down paint that hopefully is right and won't need to be disturbed or over-painted. I started with Harry's face as he is the focal point, then did the bits behind Harry to be sure that he would remain the focal point and not be over-whelmed with rockiness
By this point it is a question of just bashing on doing more of the same and resisting the temptation to go back and fiddle with what I have already done
and having got to this stage I promptly forgot to take any more photos, but basically I completed the foreground. The last things I did were the splashing sea to the left foreground and work on creating the impression of Harry's wet fur. I used a combination of palette knife and brush for this painting: palette knife for rocks and cliffs and little heads of waves on the sea and a brush for everything else.
Hope you have enjoyed  looking at my work in progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment