Thursday, 26 December 2013

Rocking horse and Chinese horses

From Andalusian stallion to rocking horse in one week is a bit of a jump - but they were all dapple, that's my excuse. I always wanted a rocking horse like this one, both as a child and subsequently for children of my own. They cost a small fortune, of course, but the bigger problem is that they are - well - BIG. It is not so much buying the rocking horse that stumped me, as the stately home-type house you would need to accommodate it.

2014 is  Chinese Year of the Horse (beginning at the end of January), so - expect more horses! Here are a couple by Xu Beihong, 1895-1953. These are ink paintings but, unusually, he also painted in oils. I chose this one because it is unusual to find ink and brush paintings in colour
This one is more typical: monochrome and loosely painted. Despite appearances to the contrary, it is much, much harder to paint loosely than it is to paint "tight". One of my resolutions for the Year of the Horse will be to try and loosen up a bit.
Have a lovely Boxing Day and thank you for looking at my paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment