Thursday, 2 January 2014

Marble Horse (+ pages from my sketch book)

Another daily painting on my horse theme: I've painted one or two pedigrees, a mare, a stallion, a cowboy horse, a rocking horse: it was time to do a marble horse. This one is from the Fountain of the Four Rivers in Rome. I worked it in a limited palette, chiefly white, black and olive green, with a manganese blue underpainting.

I didn't practise this painting first in my sketch book like I often do because I use watercolour in that (and I hadn't any idea how to paint marble in water-colour). I use my sketch book curled up on the sofa downstairs with extremely limited supplies: pencil, eraser and koh-i-nor stackable water colour disks like these
Often, though, I do try out paintings in my sketch book first. Here is a double pager, one of the sketches you have seen ("2013 Rides Out of Town") and the other one you haven't, because I have reserved that for when I next paint some cats

Here's another one that didn't make make it to a daily painting (it may do at some point in the future):

and, finally, this one which was the first step to painting a much large piece for a competition. 

The main reason I do this - apart from to try out colour schemes - is to practise free hand drawing and measuring to get proportions right. It is a difficult skill to learn.
That's all for this week. Have a great weekend and thank you for looking at my paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment