Thursday, 27 March 2014

Painted dog

This is a wild dog found only in Africa.  It is called the African wild dog, African hunting dog, Cape hunting dog, painted dog, painted wolf, painted hunting dog, spotted dog, or ornate wolf.
The scientific name is "Lycaon pictus" and is derived from the Greek for "wolf" and the Latin for "painted". This was the main reason why I chose him as my subject: I liked the name  'painted dog'!
The African painted dog is an endangered species due to habitat loss and poaching. It uses very large territories and also suffers from competition with larger carnivores that rely on the same prey, like lions and spotted hyenas.
Once, about 500,000 African painted dogs existed in 39 countries on the continent, and packs of 100 or more were apparently not uncommon. Now, only about 3,000–5,500 are left.
This is a 12" x 16" oil painting which I also did, like yesterday's, for a competition entry, but it wasn't shortlisted. The evidence of my work on this painting can be found in my room on the floor, wall and ceiling. I learnt a useful lesson: do not put dilute oil paint into a sprayer bottle and then use the bottle indoors. *sigh*.

No comments:

Post a Comment