Thursday, 8 May 2014

Arabian night

The last in my little 3 part Arabian series for now.  This was the one I painted first. I did a Cerulean Blue underpainting as an experiment because I thought the blue, complementary to the chestnut ("orange"), would help make the horse "pop". 
Blue is a risky choice for an underpainting. I have had two wipers this week when it failed to work. But as I painted this one, I could feel it "working". I also thought the mood became nocturnal as the painting grew, even though the original reference photo was shot in daylight. And hence came the idea for the little series. 
Reference photo by Ainslie G as before. I have added a link to her website if you want to check out her beautiful work.
I am going to paint some more horses, this has been fun. Hope you have enjoyed seeing them. Have a great weekend and thank you for looking at my paintings.

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to mention.. my feed reader has got the strange habit of showing me all photos in black and white now, and when this image came through I would swear to you it was a photograph..

    So beautiful in colour too. :)

    ReplyDelete