Thursday, 19 June 2014

Berber portrait (with WIP)

Something completely different today. A Berber (a-Mazigh), photographed in Tunisia. I chose to paint him because of the hat, obviously, and the reflections of the colours in the hat on the man's skin, although I also think he does have a lovely face. I stumbled across his picture when I was having a rummage on the internet on the subject of Arab horses and found this photo on Wiki of Berber warriors on their Barb horses: 
Source: Wiki Commons Media

The reference photo for the Berber himself is by permission of Karina. I tried to take photographs of each stage of painting him. Here is a collage of the main steps:
I did rather forget to pick up the camera on the home stretch, but hopefully you can see the general approach, which is to "finish as I go" so far as I possibly can: the approach Richard Schmidt describes in his book that I have mentioned before. There is a bit of a gap between the 5th and 6th photos. What I did in that 'gap' was finish the colourful section of his hat (I did the pinkish-violet bit last). This then gave me the chroma or brightness of colour against which to paint his face. I felt it was important not to accidentally paint his face brighter and more colourful than his hat (!) hence I did it that way round.

That's all for this week. Have a lovely weekend and thank you for looking at my paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment