Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Tomatoes

A little still life for you today. These are fun to do. I would like to get better at painting them quickly without blending and did try this time, but I find it very hard to maintain control of the brush. It is also unsettling when you have to pause and think before every single brush stroke because there is no scope for putting one down wrong. This is how Richard Schmid usually works. There is a little video of him painting the petal of an orchid with a palette knife. The entire video - admittedly short - simply shows him eyeballing the canvas before applying a single stroke of the knife. A petal appears as if by magic, perfect in itself with that single stroke. I really admire this method but I am not sure it is for me. Well, maybe after 50 years of practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment