Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Chihuahua

Chihuahua oil painting. A pet portrait.
This is Little Pepi , a chihuahua, photo courtesy of Paola Richey on PMP. I have made an effort to memorise the spelling of this breed name! This is the oldest breed on the American continent and the smallest breed in the world. It is native to Mexico, where it received its name from the Mexican state of Chihuahua and was only brought to Europe at the end of the nineteenth century. The breeds that were used to make up the Chihuahua are unclear, but some think it originated from the Fennec Fox. The dogs were sacred to Pre-Columbian Indian nations.
I would just add they are delicious to paint, primarily because of their beautiful eyes but - in my experience - formidable to encounter.
I saw a lady sitting on a bench beside the lake where I often walk my dog who had three of these on her lap. As we passed by - at a polite distance I might add - they went completely bonkers and turned from titchy little cuties into ferocious wolverines. Yikes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment