Wednesday, 3 September 2014

Lady in Red

An harmonious palette painting: I always feel slightly on edge when I start one of these in case the subject disappears into the background. Usually, I would seek to avoid this by keeping the background transparent and using thicker and more opaque paint for the subject (adding white, basically). On this one, I went the other way. The background is Rembrandt's Transparent Oxide Red (TOR) with white added; the dog is chiefly TOR as I felt the transparency would give a shine and a gleam to the dog's coat, which is the effect I was after.
There is one of these dogs who walks in the woods near me, called Oliver. He is a Crufts qualifying champion and the shine on his coat is so tremendous I imagine he could light up a darkened room just by walking into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment