Tuesday, 28 October 2014

Of knives and roses

oil painting, pink rose, palette knife painting
For this week, I have been practising painting with a palette knife. The only time I had used one before was recently on Dan Edmondson's landscape course to paint rocks and it was great fun. I thought it would be useful to get more adept and there is only one way to do this - actually do it. Dan Edmondson is very clear that there is no right way to use a palette knife, there is no secret "trick" that will suddenly enable you to pull off masterful strokes. You just have to practice.
As I also had a bit of a mental block about flower painting (my attempts to date being less than satisfactory), and my mood was somewhat devil-may-care, I thought I would go for it and try to crack two problems at once.
It is surprisingly liberating to launch into something like this; I had no fear of failure because I expected to fail: there was nothing to fear because it was a certainty. I have no idea what the psychology of that is, but it was so. It implies that fear is largely to do with the unknown. 
Anyway, palette knife painting, if you haven't tried it, is fab. If it goes wrong you just scrape it off or slap a bit more on top. It uses fearsome amounts of paint. 
So here is a pink rose. I think it is quite nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment