Thursday, 23 April 2015

Goldilocks

oil painting of a golden retriever, a pet portrait by karen
This is one of those where photographing it seemed impossible. The doggy looks much like the painting, the background is too dark. In real life, it is more violet. To contrast with her golden coat.

I started as usual with her eyes
This is a Rosemary & Co Series 402 size 0 sable blend. Very useful brush. Good for whiskers, too.
The main features in, now. At this point, I feel I can see the dog there, trying to get out of the canvas.
oil painting of a golden retriever, a pet portrait by karen
Still using the same brush as before, a Rosemary & Co Eclipse angular 1/4", I started working left to right then ended up working down the right. I think because her face is in shadow on that side and I had mixed up some nice dark golds and did not want to lighten them. The light you can see on the right is in fact the gessoed board.
oil painting of a golden retriever, a pet portrait by karen
My ambition for this painting was to paint a Goldie who was actually gold - as opposed to cream or beige or pale yellow.
I had two colour strings on the palette at this stage, on the rights the darks: Rembrandt Transparent Oxide Red, Cad Yellow Deep and Dioxazine Purple. On the left, the TOR and Cad Yellow + Naples Yellow Light and white.

The lightest fur on her ears, throat and her whiskers I added next day when the painting was nearly dry using a rigger.


No comments:

Post a Comment