Friday, 22 May 2015

Chocolate Orange

oil painting of chocolate labrador, orange background, dog painting by Karen Robinson

This is a limited palette painting, using Transparent Oxide Brown, Transparent Oxide Red and Cad. Yellow Deep. These last two mix really scrumptious shades of orange. I used a tiny amount of black, mainly for his pupils and nostrils.
work-in-progress photo of oil painting

Starting with his eyes and working outwards, as usual.
work-in-progress photo of oil painting
This was one of those paintings where I had a bit of trouble establishing my tonal values. I think it would have been easier to work if I had toned the support first, perhaps a thin wash of burnt sienna.

work-in-progress photo of oil painting
The beauty of working on a white ground, for me, is I just love watching the animal emerge like magic from within it. Can you see - he is nearly here now? I forgot to take any more photos because at this point I was concentrating on realising the dog: he got to here and was then in urgent need of his ears!
That's all for this week. Have a great weekend and thank you for looking at my paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment