Friday, 12 June 2015

T.G.I. Friday

oil painting of a yawning basset hound, a pet portrait by Karen
Well, I am not sure what to say about this one as I think the picture and the title rather says it all.

Painting tongues: the key is to get the balance right between warm and cool colours. The bit of a dog's tongue that is poking out - mostly all of it in this case - needs coolish colours because the cool light of the sky is bouncing off the surface. Whether or not the sky above the dog is blue - it probably is in this case - the light will be cool. Alizarin crimson, a touch of ultramarine and titanium white for the cool pinks. The back of his throat - the bit where the sky can't reach! - is warmer. Cadmium red medium is what I added to the previous mixture together with rather less white to darken it all  up a bit. This then creates the sense of depth. The shadow from his jowl is also important in that respect. I used the same colour but added a bit of blue and a teeny bit of black to kill the chroma.

Last post for this week. Have a great weekend and thank you for looking at my paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment