Friday, 14 August 2015

Red Umbrella

oil painting of woman walking dog with red umbrella in the rain
A very wet morning here in Devon. Hope it is nicer where you are.
For ages, I didn't attempt a painting like this because I couldn't figure out how to paint rain. I was thinking, it is so - visually - intangible. How do you capture it in something as tangible as oil paint? 
Rain doesn't have shapes or lines or edges. It is just kind of blurr-y.
Then I had the ha-ha moment.
Wait a bit for the paint to tack up. Take a firm bristle brush - I often use one of my old ones where I have cut away some of the bristles so there are only a few raggedy ones remaining -  and carefully drag it through the tacky paint in the direction you want the rain to be coming from. Sideways, in this instance.
The rain always falls sideways in Devon.

No comments:

Post a Comment