Thursday, 17 September 2015

Diet Day

Diet Day, oil painting of a pug with his tongue out
When I saw the ridiculous photo of this pug, looking hungry and licking his nose with his tongue, I immediately had a pang of recognition. It is what can happen for 2 days out of 7 when you are on the 5:2 diet. I have even been known to feel a pang of hunger when throwing a handful of corn to my chickens. Sad.

The painting was done on a board painted with Pthalo Blue and turpentine and allowed to dry. I started with the eyes and then put in the tongue, on the basis that the tongue was the focal point - indeed, the whole point - and painted round it: 
work-in-progress pug oil painting
The thing about tongues is that they are quite easy to do if you use a cool red such as alizarin and a warm red such as cad red medium, not just one or the other. The warmest notes seem to sit towards the tip usually.

No comments:

Post a Comment