Thursday, 31 December 2015

New Beginnings

oil painting of a foal on linen
New Year's Eve is one of my favourite days of the year: it always seems to me full of promise for a fresh start. A whole year looms in which - as yet - no resolutions have been broken, no bad paintings painted  and no mistakes made! Wonderful.
What resolutions will you be making?  I am still cooking mine up; it is always a challenge to achieve a balance between things that I have a sporting chance of achieving and things that I would have done anyway: in other words, not too hard, not too easy but just right. 
One area I am brooding on is how to achieve a better balance between small, "daily paintings" - such as this one - and working larger. I find working large difficult, partly due to lack of practice, and I would like to get more fluent and more confident. I have already bought some large canvases and some larger brushes for working on them.
Next, I must put them to use.
I hope you have lots of good new beginnings. Thank you for your company in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment