Here is the palette I used. Not sure if you can read my annotations - it will certainly be difficult on a mobile phone. From top left to bottom: pthalo blue, black, transparent oxide brown, transparent oxide red, cad yellow deep (not used, in the event), yellow ochre deep and a warm and cool red (for the tongue).
As I usually do, I started working from the eyes, then the face in general and moved outwards, although I did place some pink notes in the ears to give them a chance to tack up before going back in to add fur:
As an afterthought: the smeary, raw sienna sort of background on the board was not created deliberately: it was the aftermath of wiping off the last painting that went wrong. I could have re-gessoed, but thought this would be fine as a base to work on.
GSDs are not dogs I know very much about. I mentioned once before on this blog that the only serious time I have spent with the breed was at Mirheim Kennels in Ontario, near to Toronto, owned by my auntie Mary Vurma, who was once a well-known GSD breeder (25.8.23-12.5.10). On the occasion of that visit, I took six of her dogs out on a lead walk round the neighbourhood and felt like a super hero. I didn't get to meet any of the locals, though: I noticed they all crossed the road when they saw us coming.