Firstly, I stained the board with some raw umber, pretty dark Then I washed in some dark patches to indicate the areas that will be more in shadow and the approximate position of the bees and then (most unlike me) waited the necessary time for it to fully dry. After that, I more or less worked as I usually do: top left, across and down, completing as I went.
One thing I did do differently was to re-visit the finished painting after it was dry to add some more 'wax' i.e. the light cream colour to indicate where the bees are capping brood or honey:
Also, I used a very, very soft brush: a Winsor & Newton 1/4 inch angled water colour brush. Apart from the initial block in, this was the only brush I used. It made a big difference to my ability to add extremely thin, light lines on top of wet paint with less risk of it mixing in and causing a muddle - for example, the edges of some cells in the comb and the bees' wings.
The palette was: Vandyke Brown, Black, Yellow Ochre Deep, Gamblin warm white and titanium white (for wings).