Wednesday, 6 January 2016

On considering my New Year resolutions...

oil painting of a Dog snoozing in the sun
Here is a gentle painting to kick off the new year - wishing you all a peaceful 2016 with lots of opportunities for enjoying life's good things. For this painting, I used mostly yellow ochre and dioxine purple (together they formed the greys); a spot of black for the darkest darks - nose, shut eye, paw pads - and a spot of cad. lemon for the brightest lights. 

Did you make any New Year Resolutions? I have made a few. I am going to try and produce one portrait a week this year, even if it is only a tiny study. My portrait work is discussed on my other blog as some of you will already know. I have also resolved to work steadily on the two internet-based courses I have bought from Daniel Edmondson.

The other resolutions I think I will keep to myself for now, but somewhere in there is an unwritten one, to try and lighten up a bit about my work. I bewailed one big Painting Fail on James Gurney's blog at the back end of last year and he responded as follows:
Thank you, James, good advice as always. The Gallery Flambeau, incidentally, is a bonfire of your failed experiments. I had two last year and burnt dozens of paintings. Very liberating. To have the first bonfire of 2016 here in soggy Devon it will have to stop raining first!

No comments:

Post a Comment