Thursday, 6 October 2016

Resting my ears

A basset hound, sleeping on the sofa, painted in Autumn colours
A basset hound, sleeping on the sofa, painted in Autumn colours, actually using just Transparent Oxide Red, black and white. I was working on my values. As usual.
I am beginning to realise that almost the entire "secret" of realistic painting is down to getting the values right. It is super hard.
Do you remember learning to drive? I was taught to recite the mantra "Mirror, Signal Manoeuvre" - which I used to do quite obsessively for ages before it became second nature. Well, when I am painting, I am mentally reciting: Light, Mid-tone, Dark.
The darkest dark in the lights is ALWAYS lighter than the lightest light in the dark.
Keep your darks, DARK

I don't think this quote is about painting, but it is pinned up on my easel anyway.

quote about light and dark

No comments:

Post a Comment