Saturday, 2 April 2016

Labradoodle - Study in Red

labradoodle oil painting
This was much more difficult to paint than I had anticipated when I started. The palette I used was: Transparent Oxide Brown (Rembrandt), Transparent Oxide Red (Rembrandt), Naples Yellow Light (Rembrandt), Transparent Red Ochre (W&N), Yellow Ochre Light (W&N) and white.There is a brush tip of black for the pupils of his eyes and his nostrils.
To achieve the impression of soft curls on his chest, I scrubbed in Transparent Oxide Brown and Red, in a sort of stripes pattern, trying not to over blend. Then I used a cotton bud (Q tip) to wipe out the light-catching 'ridges' of his curls. Once the paint had tacked up, but was not completely dry, I added some lighter highlights with a soft brush and tidied up the darks. 
His face took forever. I let the paint dry twice in order to add additional layers. So this "daily painting" took about 10 days.
I seem to be moving away from the lick-and-finish approach of daily painting - trying to complete a piece from start to finish in 2 or 3 hours. It is an approach that doesn't always give the effects I want. Hence less frequent posts of late.
But this is OK, I think. Have a good weekend everyone and thanks you for looking at my paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment