I decided to render the dog first, so that I could key in the background to him, rather than starting with the background then trying to make the dog pop out of it.
As you can see, I started with what the dog was leading with
- his nose and tongue.
The rest of his face and his right shoulder in next. Roughly speaking, the right side of this dog is in shadow and the left side is in the light. I split the palette and used two brushes, one for the shadow and one for the light.
And here he is, bless him, bounding out of the canvas towards me. Now to ruin it, I thought and began tackling the background with considerable trepidation. I started off using only combos of the same paint colours as I had used on the dog - to try and ensure the painting hung together OK. But that quickly appeared hopeless - far too bland - so I whipped out the cadmiums: lemon yellow, pale green and gave it a bit of energy with a large brush. I was happy with how it turned out.